Friday, February 4, 2011

Kid Politics

I recently listened to an interesting podcast on This American Life that investigates the idea of kids becoming involved in politics. Ira Glass begins by discussing a documentary called Please Vote for me by Weijun Chen, that I happen to have watched on an amazing zine-style compilation of films and shorts that my brother gave me last Christmas. It was super interesting to witness the eight-year old children's approaches to campaigning for votes. Another fascinating part of the podcast focuses on the free school movement. The staff visits The Brooklyn Free School, where students are given the power to make all of their own decisions through frequent school meetings and discussions. It is particularly relevant to me, considering that I am working at a school with similar values regarding student autonomy. As a new teacher, I am drawn to alternative education, but also respect many aspects of public schooling. Give it a listen, and see what you think!

No comments: