Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mandy Greer

It was a gorgeous day outside, and although I have papers to write and books to read, I decided to go for a very long walk, drink way too much coffee and eat a huge frozen yogurt sundae.  I also bought a few second hand books and art magazines including the new edition of Hi Fructose, which I chose specifically for it's article on fibre artist Mandy Greer.  In a recent exhibit at the Bellevue Art Museum outside Seattle, she displayed a new installation called 'Dare Alla Luce', which means to give birth in Italian, or more literally, to give to the light.  It almost looks like a rain forest scene, draped with long hanging knit and beaded ropes, a pearl and diamond moon and black leather pelicans and crows.  I am astounded at the intricacy of her work and the obvious care and dedication that she puts into every meticulous detail. Another installation titled 'A Small but Mighty Wandering Pearl' displays a white stag with pearl encrusted antlers surrounded by crocheted red yarn, thread and beads representing blood.  A blood red chandelier hangs behind the animal's dying body.  I think her work is the kind you would probably have to see to believe and I hope I get a chance to walk through her world some day.  

Check out her website and blog.

2 comments:

Mandy Greer said...

Hey sailor!

Thanks for your comments and spreading the word! Dare alla Luce is actually up again at The Museum of Contemporary Craft in Portland, until May 31 (more info over at my blog)

I love all the stuff you are posting about, so much good to look through!

mandy

sailor in love said...

thanks mandy!!

i haven't posted in a while and i just discovered your comment. best of luck with your show in portland, you're work is incredible.

xo